Welcome to Day 2 of our contributions to the Schoolhouse Review Crew’s 5 Days of Tips for Homeschool Parents Blog Hop! I hope you are as excited as I am to hear today’s tips from 11-year old Bignificent! (And if you’re wondering why you are hearing from my kids rather than from me, check out my explanatory post from Day 1.)
Bignificent’s Tips for Homeschool Parents
- Give one snack in the morning and one in the afternoon. (Kids need energy!)
- Always ask a kid their opinion when choosing between classes (such as geology and anatomy).
- Always give them plenty of reading time.
- Always give kids as many readers as they want.
- Always let kids read ahead or start a book before it is assigned.
- Give kids time to exercise or practice their favorite sports.
- Ask your kid what activities they prefer (like coloring, cutting and gluing, or reading).
- Ask your kid how they think they learn best (from listening, reading, or doing).
- Try to incorporate their answers to #7 and #8 in their daily schedule.
- Always take a couple weeks off and do a “wacky week.” (Mom’s note – “Wacky week” is what we call it when we put away all our books and schedules and do unit studies. All of my kids like the structure of following a more structured curriculum most of the year so unit studies don’t work for us year-round, but we all love to throw in a few wacky weeks every year. I think they learn just as much or more during these weeks, but please don’t tell them that!) 🙂
I think you’ll really enjoy watching Bignificent and her younger sister acting out these tips in the video below! If you can’t get this to play here on the blog, you can hop over to YouTube and watch it there. Enjoy!
I hope you enjoyed hearing Bignificent’s big ideas! I’m actually pretty impressed with how much she has picked up about learning styles!
Please come back tomorrow for our next video of Tips for Homeschool Parents…from Homeschool Kids! We think you’re going to love it!
And don’t miss out on all the other posts in this round up. Each day, I’ll be sharing links to some of the other bloggers participating. I certainly can’t wait to read their posts, and I know you’ll be blessed by them as well!
Kym @ Homeschool Coffee Break
Latonya @ Joy in the Ordinary
Laura @ Day by Day in Our World
Leah @ As We Walk Along the Road
Lisa @ Farm Fresh Adventures
Lori @ At Home: where life happens
Meg @ Adventures with Jude
Megan @ My Full Heart
Melanie (Wren) @ finchnwren
Melissa @ Mom’s Plans
See you tomorrow!!!