Welcome to the next stop in our adventure learning about Children Around the World with Winter Promise curriculum! This week, we are heading back to the Americas and learning about Mexico!
Bignificent took it upon herself to follow Winter Promise’s instructions to make a simple piñata by decorating a big paper bag before I could suggest the dreaded mess of papier-mâché, so I kept my big mouth shut! 🙂 She had so much fun collecting little odds and ends to put in her bag that she thought the little ones would enjoy finding! We had a hard time finding a good place to hang it so we ended up propping it on a box on a bush and having at it. Not exactly authentic, but they all loved it!
My personal favorite part of the week was that we ate Mexican food pretty much every night all week! We had beef tacos one night, my Mexican walnut chicken another night, chicken fajitas another night, and we went to our neighborhood Mexican restaurant another night. The kids also enjoyed trying a recipe they could make on their own from the Winter Promise activity book for refried beans and cheese on top of French bread. It was a super yummy week!
And then there were, of course, the books! I just realized I forgot to include a picture of the very readable Mexican cookbook/travelogue that inspired my Mexican walnut chicken above, but Bignificent immensely enjoyed flipping through it this week.
I’m including our affiliate links for your convenience and to help support our ongoing ministry here in Southeast Asia.
Picture Books about Mexico
- Mexico: A Benjamin Blog and his Inquisitive Dog Guide by Anita Ganeri
- Cactus Soup by Eric A. Kimmel
- Marco’s Cinco de Mayo by Lisa Butler
- If You Were Me and Lived in….Mexico by Carole P. Roman
- P is for Piñata: A Mexican Alphabet by Tony Johnston
Chapter Books about Mexico
- Chronicles of an American Schoolgirl: Mexico 1965: A Memoir by Ellen Ward Lopez
- I May Never Take a Trip to Mexico: A Children’s Play by Rev. Steve and Valerie Howard
- Sage Carrington: Math Mystery in Mexico City by Justin Scott Parr
- Simply Sarah: Eating Enchiladas by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
- The Wild Chihuahuas of Mexico by Traude Gomez Rhine
We had such a great time learning a little bit about Mexico this week! Thanks for joining us! To read about our other virtual visits, check out our Children Around the World landing page! Next stop: Brazil!